Binary to Octal converter
Convert binary numbers to octal effortlessly with our user-friendly online tool. Whether you have a binary string or a series of binary digits, our converter can accurately convert it into octal format. Simply input the binary number and let our converter do the rest. It supports both unsigned and signed binary numbers, providing flexibility for various applications.
what is Binary to Octal converter
A Binary to Octal converter is a tool that allows you to convert binary numbers (base-2) into octal numbers (base-8). The binary system uses only two digits, 0 and 1, while the octal system uses eight digits, 0 to 7.
Here's how a Binary to Octal converter typically works:
- Input the binary number you want to convert.
- Group the binary digits into sets of three, starting from the rightmost digit. If the number of digits is not a multiple of three, pad the left side with zeros to complete the groupings.
- Replace each group of three binary digits with their corresponding octal digit.
- 000 = 0
- 001 = 1
- 010 = 2
- 011 = 3
- 100 = 4
- 101 = 5
- 110 = 6
- 111 = 7
- Concatenate the octal digits obtained in step 3 to form the final octal representation.
- Converting the binary number 101010 to octal would be calculated as: 10 101 0 -> 2 5 0 -> 250.
Binary to Octal converters are useful in computer programming and digital systems analysis, especially when dealing with bit manipulation or storage optimization. They can be found as online tools, calculator applications, or programming language functions for easy conversion between binary and octal representations.
How to convert binary to octal
Convert every 3 binary digits (start from bit 0) to 1 octal digit, with this table:
Convert binary 11011002 to octal:
Convert every 3 binary bits (from bit0) to octal digit:
11011002 = 1 101 100 = 1 5 4 = 1548